17 May 2009

NOW Media: My, How The Stream Doth Flow


The web is no longer an email inbox where you must read through to the last email or web pages where you must read all the way down to get to the bottom of the page but now a constant stream of real time info that you dip into from time to time as if you were swimming.

A couple of months ago I was introduced to Facebook, Twitter and the iPhone 3G at the same time and suddenly things look different. For instance, I find I rarely even bother with main stream media any more yet am as well or better informed than most who do. I find that email seems almost quaint and I have to remind myself to check it whereas 2 months ago I would check it several times throughout the course of a day. 

@erickschonfeld has a pertinent post called "Jump Into The Stream.Here a good description of what web is now and how to approach it. The web is no longer an email inbox where you must read through to the last email or blog pages where you must read all the way down to get to the bottom of the page but now a constant stream of real time info that you dip into from time to time.

Now Media is the fusion of Old Media and New Media according to Jeff Pulver.
I remember reading about Social Media and Web 2.0 a couple of years ago and I could conceptualize it but I didn't experience. Now I am experiencing it, and yes, the blog is now crucial in a way it wasn't before, in my opinion. All of this to say the blog seems to play a central role in the new social media economy. 

Now think of your blog posts as platforms inviting your readers to dive into the stream. I wonder how our Christian image of baptism would fit with this metaphor?

No comments:

Post a Comment