23 June 2009

Lord, I Have Cried


Union soldier during Civil War -photo by Life magaine.


With my own eyes I have seen some bad things happen to good people and this is not just something I noticed once when I was 8 years old. I still see it on an ongoing, regular basis. So do you if you have enough awareness to look beyond your own experience of the world. Then again, perhaps YOU are a person who is even now experiencing the seemingly absurd, cruel side of life.

In such situations, words do not suffice and in fact may often get in the way. We may hide behind words such as "Everything will be alright." Or, "Don't you cry about it, now." Or other such unhelpful barriers we put up between those who are suffering and ourselves.Lord, in our suffering, save us from triviality and sound bites.

Even so, is there not some word of encouragement or hope we may offer? Here is how the Psalmist put it and this is good enough for me and I hope it is good enough for you.

Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5c


No comments:

Post a Comment