14 March 2012

Blessing


When I sang in the Belhaven College choir back in the day, we ended every concert with an Irish blessing:


May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your faceand the rains fall soft upon your fields.Until we meet again, until we meet again,may God hold you in the palm of His hand.May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


I have a recording of us singing that song if you'd like to hear it.





Here is an older Celtic blessing on a home from the 6-8th century:


The Sacred Three, my fortress be encircling me, Come and be round my hearth, my home.     
Fend Thou my kin and every sleeping thing within from scare, from sin. 
Thy care our peace, through mid of night to light's release.


Blessing goes back to the very earliest times. In the morning of Creation, on the completion of each day's work, God blessed the living creatures that came from God's hands, bidding them increase and multiply and fill the earth (Genesis 1-2). 


God blesses. That is what God does. God invites you and me to be blessed by God and be a blessing to others. May you and those you love be blessed and be a blessing today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment